Pular para o conteúdo principal

HIV: a burden one cannot unsee

I'm in a great rage now, as I understand how many lives we have lost, he thought to himself, as he took a flight back home from South Africa. Home had become a toll of guilt for him, every time he took this very flight, away from the desperate need of change, droughts, lack of all things human and unvalued by a good part of people on the other side, in Canada, the idea of home had become too foggy. We would never have an HIV epidemics, he reassured himself. No, they had been relatively lucky. Not on the other side, his side, his home, which came now with the price of privilege.
His last trip had been life-changing, like many others, but this time he was ready to present his book in Canada — Race Against Time— and maybe put some color about the other side, about the HIV epidemics in Africa, the one he would so like to combat systematically, even if as an individual. He had been agitated the whole flight, there was absolutely no message he could deliver in that opening that would fit ten minutes. No time for conversation, too much to say.
And suddenly I’m right here, Stephen Lewis, he reassured himself, as United Nations Special Envoy for HIV/AIDS in Africa, representing my own Foundations, my parents’ well-known political figures’ names, and still unable to find the right words, nor the voice tone, nor a catchy enough hook. Maybe silence would do, he smirked.
“I want to be cautious here, because Africa is a hugely complex continent and you can't really generalize about it”, he started, pausing, underlining where necessary, and continued, “I think when you've travelled around a lot in Africa, you understand something that many people here don't recognize: the extraordinary power that is Africa at village level - at community level”, he looked at his colleagues, journalists across the room, politics and business people, “I don’t think you realize how much we can do to fight HIV as a community, if we, from the other side of the ocean, are ready to be part of this same community”, the room had his undivided attention, “in this book, I tried to tell you in five pieces about the change that can be promoted by us, here, from this very room”. Would it have any effect, he asked himself, one could never begin to imagine, could he really deliver the message?
“I hope that today you realize that the United Nations has a lot of capacity on the ground, but your backup is imperative, whether in research, direct funding, or just spreading the word”, he added, “There is a disturbing distortion of the preventive apparatus ... It is resulting in great damage and undoubtedly will cause significant numbers of infections which should never have occurred”, he was almost running out of time now, “I hope this message in this book, with its voice, reaches you and your potential to fund the necessary aid”. He thanked them, and quickly went to his seat, to blend in.
It gave him hope, this great strength of Africa. Even in that room, he was almost jealous of the people around him who would never experience the need of systematic cooperation he felt, that life-changing feeling of being a Canadian with nothing but great things to do: research, awareness, recruiting the right people, engaging and fighting HIV in a land that was not his, but surely the cause, had become.

Hopefully, that would give him hope, too.

Comentários

Postagens mais visitadas deste blog

RIANNE (eu,ich, ja, I, yo), A COLONIZADORA.

Toda criança normal tem como lembrança normal algum parque ou algo extremamente colorido. A primeira lembrança que eu tenho é de um corredor de hotel, uma janela no fim. Depois... Perguntaram-me em New Jersey se o que eu falava era brasileiro ou espanhol, peguei a bicicleta, achei graça e ralei o joelho - não exatamente nessa ordem, mas nada que me impedisse de ir comprar comida chinesa em caixinha do outro lado da rua, eu sempre kept the creeps quanto à vendedora, ela era alta demais pra uma chinesa. Foi nessa época que criei um certo trauma em relação a indianos, o acento indiano é um negócio a se discutir - parei de comer dunkin donuts. Era uma máfia, em todo Dunkin Donut e posto de gasolina só se trabalhava indiano. Admito que só fazia ESL pra perder aula, mas o mundo inteiro precisava sentar em um teatro e ver a cara da Miss Rudek, quando eu, o Hupert (chinês), e a Katrina (mexicana) passamos a ser crianças sem línguas maternas: Havíamos aprendido duas ao mesmo tempo, com um empur

Purple crutches

“I wish you a great future”, then she gave me her hand - similar to a peace offering. She had a simple case of a stomach ulcer, I had patched her up around 3am in our ER, I had simply asked her if there had been any unusual stress in her life lately, to which she replied “I had kids too early, I wish I had done more with my life”. I could feel the courage-fuel she was burning while saying these words. I didn’t give her any speech. Just admiration, and a small part of me smirked at my childhood hoping my mother had realized that sooner. Well, she didn’t. I made my life’s mission to become exactly the opposite of her. As I typed in another ER report for the 27-year-old sitting next to me, I came to an uncomfortable realization: how not often patients wish us anything at all, like we’re not people, like we don’t have feelings. She had wished me as much as a great future - that’s a lot. I hope she knows that’s exactly what I wished her, too. Truth is, I felt like my emotional energy could

Malibu, 2025.

Malibu, 2025. Note to self. It had been already snowing. Awfully early to, but it was Moscow. Normally, after the first snow I’d meet Seda and she would complain about every single aspect of her life and connect it to the snow fall and the coming winter. Now, however, it was just me. I remember I had been looking for emotional sustainability. I, yet, couldn’t find the equivalent of “green, sustainable” for feelings. I was not sure either it was a color. Oh. Right. It was exac tly the things that happened after we graduated that defined us. I died my hair blond, took off to Vienna to meet old affairs and taste the Austrian cuisine (all of it, but I specialized on schnitzels and apfelstrudels). Martin moved with Masha and Domenico to the countryside, after which they became gypsies in the alps. Seda took off with Gennady to the United States in the pursuit of happiness according to the American constitution. I became a vegan after that, but remained blond. Seda ended up working tem